September 20, 2022


Linn Manufacturing Corp. (1916-1949)

Linn Manufacturing Corp., Div. Republic Truck Corp. ( 1927-1929)

Linn Manufacturing Corp., Div. LaFrance-Republic Corp. (1929-1932)

Linn Manufacturing Corp., Div. American-LaFrance Corp. (1932-1949)
Morris, New York
Buffalo, New York (1939-1949)

This is a Linn radiator emblem (c1928)      AaronK

The Linn Manufacturing Corporation specialized in building half-tracks for load carrying or as towing tractors, particularly for snowplowing, logging, mining and construction work.

The company was founded by Holman Harry Linn, who had worked for the Lombard company, which used rigid track systems for its logging tractors, whereas Linn favored a flexible track system, which he patented. Linn's "flexible traction" units had the advantage of being able to move over rough rock covered, muddy or hilly terrain previously inaccessible to motor vehicles. Linn departed in 1929 after the sale of his company to the Republic Truck Corporation and went on to set up the Linn Trailer Corporation in Oneonta (see Oneonta Linn).

Apart from the tracks, the Linn was a conventional truck powered by four-cylinder Continental engines initially, followed by four- and six-cylinder Waukesha engine, and six-cylinder Cummins and Hercules diesel engines. The first Linn units had open cabs, which were replaced by closed wooden cabs in the 1920's. A fully enclosed steel cab was adopted just before the Second World War.

The Linn C-Series was introduced in the 1930's. A new model consisting of a single machine able to switch from truck to tractor with the push of a lever appeared in 1939. This was the C5, which was built in a cab-over configuration with front wheel drive and was known as the "CATRUK". 

After the war, demand for Linn machines fell sharply and in late 1949 the Linn plant was closed down. The Linn plant and remaining parts were sold to some local businessmen, who built two final Linn units from parts on hand and then managed a Linn parts and service facility before closing in 1959.


The Linn half-track was a rugged machine from the start, see original photo shown below:

Linn half-track in action showing radiator emblem (1920s)  ebay

The Linn had a heavy cast iron radiator through the 1920's and most of the 1930's with the "Linn" name cast into the radiator tank top, see example shown above at the top of this post. The "Linn" name was also cast into the sides of the radiator and for some models the "Linn" name was also cast into the radiator cap, see example shown below:

Linn half-track showing "Linn" name cast into the radiator & body side nameplate (1930's)    aumann

Linn emblem on radiator & radiator cap (1930's)   aumann

The "Linn" name was also displayed on oval shaped body side nameplates at the sides of the driver's cab, see photo below:

Linn body side nameplate (1930's)

This Linn nameplate is the same as the Linn logo used from 1917, see below:

Linn logo used on some body side nameplates    coachbuilt

The Linn body side nameplate is seen with different designs, see examples shown below:  

Linn half track with body side nameplate (1928)   coachbuilt

Linn half track with body side nameplate (poss 1940's)  justoldtrucks

The Linn C-5 introduced in 1939 had a small oval "Catruk" radiator emblem, see original photo shown below:

Linn C-5 half track showing Catruk radiator emblem (1939)     coachbuilt

The cast metal Linn Catruk radiator emblem shown below may be a reproduction, so emblem collectors should beware. Original copies of this Linn Catruk radiator emblem, which were originally painted, are very rare.

This is a Linn Catruk radiator emblem (1939)     lktec
Size: 103mm wide 72mm high    MM: None

The following original photo shows a post war Linn Model C-6 half track with a different radiator and emblem. It appears that the Linn emblem here is a separate painted metal radiator emblem. If so, this Linn radiator emblem would be very rare. It is seen that the radiator shell no longer shows the "Linn" name on the sides.

Linn C-6 half track showing radiator emblem (1946)  coachbuilt


No comments:

Post a Comment