December 13, 2016

EDWARDS-KNIGHT

Edwards Motor Car Company (1912-1913)

Long Island City, New York


This is an Edwards Knight radiator emblem (1912-1913)   sam
Size: 44mm  MM: Unknown


H.E.Edwards had been the engineering designer for Stoddard-Dayton and chief engineer for United States Motor Company. In early 1912, Edwards and C.G.Stoddard set up the Edwards Motor Car Company and acquired a license to use the Knight sleeve-valve engine in a new car called the Edwards-Knight. The 40/50 hp four-cylinder Edwards-Knight was introduced in December 1912. It was an attractive car and was offered in a variety of body styles. However, production of the Edwards-Knight lasted only a few months.

In July 1913, the Edwards Motor Car Company, together with the Knight sleeve-valve license, was bought by John North Willys, who hired Edwards as engineer for his new Willys-Knight.

Emblem

The Edwards-Knight radiator emblem shown above is extremely rare.

Beware there are Pulfer reproduction Edwards-Knight radiator emblems with flat backs and no maker's mark.

No comments:

Post a comment